In celebration of New York Comic Con 2013, comiXology has conducted an extensive customer survey to learn more about the curious habits of digital comic book readers.
1. 80% of comic book readers read on a tablet.
44% read on a computer, and 36% read on a phone.
2. 55% of the total respondents admitted to reading digital comics on the potty.
3. Night time is reading time.
Over 2/3 of all respondents like to do their reading late at night. Instead of other activities. You know what we mean.
4. Spending habits on digital comic books are:
The average spend is 100 dollars per year. 25% spend an average of 400 dollars or more per year. The most spent by one person is 63,129 dollars.
5. Money is a touchy subject. 4 out of 10 hide how much they spend on digital comics from their significant other.
10% would be killed if they shared that number. Obviously, since they do most of their reading late at night. Instead of that other thing.
6. Comics? Sure. What else?
30% of respondents read books daily.
7. 36% exercise 2-3 times a week, while 25% play video games daily.
8. 2013 is a great year for apocalyptic movies.
The top 3 movies of 2013 without a comic tie-in. But we’d love to see a comic based on all three.
First movie is “This is the end,” second is “Elysium,” and third is “The World’s End”
9. Most Comixology readers aren’t pirates.
10. 1/4 of people have downloaded pirated digital comics, that’s 25% less than in 2012.
Truly the world of comics is fascinating. People rely on comics to entertain them and to make their day a little better.